By MICHAEL QUINN
Today's Players spend more time in this room than any other place in the building, but it wasn’t always the Grill. Before its transformation, this was simply the Billiards Room. Office space for the house manager occupied the current bar area. The room also contained members' mailboxes and lockers. We're not certain of this photo's date, but since Edwin Booth did not permit billiards, it was obviously taken after 1893 -- probably in the early 20th century.
Michael Quinn is a NYC native, historian, performer, and entrepreneur who is a member of the Admissions Committee at The Players. Drop him a line here: firstname.lastname@example.org